I love New Year's Day. It's a holiday for most people and a universal time of reflection and goal setting. I always make a list each year of my goals (things I can make happen) and dreams (things I hope for, but can't make happen on my own.)
Goals are quantifiable. You CAN make it happen. “I will write everyday.” “I will visit my parents once a week.” That type of thing.
Dreams are just that, dreams. They can come true, but it takes more than your desire to make it happen. A little faith. A little good fortune. A lot of patience?
I'm going to list my goals and dreams for 2017 because, well, it's my blog. 🙂 And when it's written down, it becomes real and it's something I can look back on over the year to see how I did.
- hire a personal assistant (done! More about her later.)
- start a new historical mystery series (more info on that coming soon!)
- write and publish every 60-90 days (shorter books more often)
- build my mailing list (are you on it? My subscribers are the first to hear all the news and book deals)
- create life/work balance (why I hired a PA – I can't do it all)
- submit standalone thriller manuscript to my agents
- Sell standalone thriller to Big 5 publisher
- Make a list (NYT and/or USA Today)
- Pay down my house
- Help my kids with college tuition
It's good to leave room for surprises, too. Last year my biggest surprise was selling the Perception Trilogy to Korea. One day I got an email asking if the Korean language rights were still available. Uh, yeah.
Check out these great covers!
#1 Zoe's Secret
#2 Noah's Choice
# Noah and Zoe's Love
I also gained representation by two New York agents. I hadn't seen that one coming last January. Another terrific surprise.
I'm excited to see what new surprises come this year.
How about you? Do you have a list of goals and dreams for 2017? Feel free to share them in the comments.